Module 7: Learning & Assessment Activities
Please complete these activities in order:
· Module Notes: Diversity and Cross-Cultural Adjustments
· M7A1: Managing a Cross-Cultural Team
M7A1: Managing a Cross-Cultural Team
As mentioned in your readings for this module, the global nature of organizations is on the rise. Navigating a diverse workforce and adjusting to cross-cultural issues is of the utmost importance. You have also considered the development of teams, so let’s explore a real-life example. Consider the following scenario:
As the division manager of a large software development firm, you have been assigned the oversight of a team of employees tasked with the development and marketing of a software program meant to track employee productivity and the need for training. The software will be marketed primarily in the U.S., China, and Germany. Your immediate supervisor has informed you that the international team will convene in four weeks at your corporate headquarters, then travel back to their home countries. The total project timeline is for six months. During this time, your team will need to create the software, and develop a marketing plan. Here is your team:
· Hong Yu (China): Software developer
· Sofia Schmidt (Germany): Software developer
· Brian Cole (US): Software developer
· Chao Lin (China): HR manager
· Karl Fisher (Germany): HR manager
· Maddie Hunter (US): HR manager
· Liling Woo (China): Marketing
· Marie Mayer (Germany): Marketing
· Robert Newell (US): Marketing
· Susan Drew (US): Project manager
All of the team members are fluent in English, as well as their native language. Keep in mind the cultural diversity of your team.
In a comprehensive paper, please complete the following:
· In preparation for the convergence of the team, what type of training would you suggest? How would you administer the training and who would participate? What difficulties would you anticipate during the training period? Which leadership style would you employ at this stage? What motivational skills would you employ at this stage? Support your responses with evidence-based practice.
· Once your team convenes, create a team building exercise for all involved. Describe the exercise in detail, and state the purpose of the exercise, using evidence-based practice.
· Divide your team into groups for the initial creation of the software. Who will be in each group and why? What difficulties might you experience within these groups? Which leadership style would you employ at this stage? What motivational skills would you employ at this stage? Support your responses using evidence-based practice.
· Once the software developers leave the group to build the software, which tasks would you assign the other group members? Would you have them working in separate teams or together? Which leadership style would you employ at this stage? What motivational skills would you employ at this stage? Support your responses using evidence-based practice.
· What team building practices will you employ prior to your team becoming virtual after the initial four-week meeting at headquarters? How will your team meet virtually and how will they collaborate? Support your responses using evidence-based practice.
Your paper should be in APA format, and be no less than five pages in length. At least three peer-reviewed references should be used in addition to your textbook.